How To Build a Pipeline of High Quality Sales Prospects
B2B Sales Prospecting Training is the critical skill set when you want to build a high converting, high quality and well qualified sales pipeline….but before we start, let’s just burst a misleading myth that surrounds sales prospecting
Sales Prospecting is NOT Selling!
It never ever has been and it never ever will be.
To check out more on this take a look at the Sales Call Structure post to give you an idea about different parts of the sales process.
Sales Prospecting is a skill that sits apart from all other skills in the sales tool kit. Sales Prospecting is fact finding, building a proposition, asking questions of users, referrers, influencers, doing research on the organisation – it’s hard core prep work on targets you need to convert.
BEWARE! If you try to prospect and sell in the very same call you’ll end up crazily burning through good opportunities, suffering from mental exhaustion, high levels of rejection and not earning any bonus!
It’s just not where you want to be.
What Makes an Great B2B Sales Prospector?
Oh, they are super-smart, they know that time is money, and they know that if they want to harvest a crop, then they need to plant the field first!
- How much time do you spend planting sales seeds? Not all sales leads are of equal value – a good prospector knows what to look for and what to kick to the side so as to save time.
- How much effort do you spend digging for opportunities that, once you pitch to, you know they will close?
- How often are you scrolling through LinkedIn without a plan, a strategy or a focus for your outreach?
- How clear a picture do you have of your Perfect Prospect, in how much detail, using what criteria to identify them and their org?
Using Your Reticular Activating System!
Put simply, your Reticular Activating System is your flashing light.
Quick example: you’re thinking of getting a red car, maybe a Toyota or a Honda….now, everywhere you look, your brain will automatically spot many many more red Toyota’s or Honda’s than it ever did before…
Because – whether consciously paying attention or not – your brain is automatically programmed to see red cars, especially of these two makes, wherever and whatever else is going on.
That’s how acute your Reticular Activating System is.
It’s a missile.
Tell it what to look for, in as much sensible detail as possible and set it to go. It will auto select and flag what you want and totally hide from view that which you don’t want.
How smart is that?
Pretty smart, I’d say.
So, what next?
You need to get:
- Finely focussed on who you want to engage with, why
- Next, build a strong value proposition – see Perfect Prospect Profile for more details
- Then, STAY AWAY from wasting time on anything that does not fit this profile
After all, anytime you spend engaging with prospects that are not your target sector is just time you won’t be able to spend with prospects who can buy from you, want to buy from you and see value in what you offer.
10 Tips for B2B Sales Prospecting | Quick Summary
- Great B2B sales prospecting is a state of mind – and how clearly you focus on who you’re looking for and what value you offer to your selected prospect/market
- Know what you want to achieve – a pipeline of high converting, highly qualified sales prospects that fit your Perfect Prospect Profile – means no rubbish
- Build a solid business case for your offering to this group – a no brainer sales pitch – check our the Sales Improvement Workshop for more details
- Understand that B2B sales prospecting is NOT the same as selling – be clear
- Prospect to fine tune your ICP and build your target list, not pitch slap them.
- In B2B sales prospecting you might find yourself speaking to referrers, influencers, recommending parties, users and not just decision makers…because
- You want to build a water tight business case to achieve maximum impact when you do get through to the decision maker
- Great B2B sales lead generators will listen more than talk – they ask great, insightful sales questions – check out Consultative Selling
- They make the selling / prospecting distinction in mindset, time-management, focus and strategy.
- Sales Metrics will help you understand how much time you need to spend prospecting to get the orders you need
These are the key elements of sales effectiveness, sales efficiency and sales success.
You have to start with the end in mind.
That’s how you know, at the end of the sales pipeline, you’ll get the opportunities and deals you want, the customers you want, buying the products and services you want, at the price you want to sell them…as often as you want!
So, how do you do all this?
Take Control | Build a Sales Strategy to Deliver | Don’t Confuse Sales Activity with Sales Success
You can’t make 30 decision maker calls per day and at 5.30pm claim it’s been a good day because you’ve loaded 30 no value leads on to a CRM system!
Sales prospecting with a very clear focus around the type of prospect you want to engage with (and the kind you want to throw back for your competitors to squabble about) is a critical part of sales success.
If you’re struggling to define the difference between who you should be engaging with versus which prospects are simply chewing through your valuable selling time, then check out the book yourself and your team on to The Sales Improvement Workshop
Business development in high performance B2B teams is not a game of chance.
You Can Change Your Sales Results Now, Today
The sooner you get smart of knowing who you should be chasing after and who you should ditch fast… the sooner you’re sales conversion will start to trend upwards!
I’ve worked with thousands of sales teams who really struggled to improve their sales results and this is the VERY first thing we look at!
It’s the very first thing because it’s one of the easiest things to fix, it’s fast and it has immediate results and payback!
There is no magic – this is fact!
So before you go chasing after a not so great sales lead, before you enter that sales opportunity into your sales pipeline, before you try and convince yourself it’s been time well spend and that the ‘prospect was very excited’ ask yourself, is this really the type of business I want to invest time in to convert?
So, where do you find those high value, life changing sales opportunities?
How do you create those golden sales opportunities, the ones you get to first?
And, the deals where you’re the only one standing at the end?
Maybe you rely on exhibitor inquiries?
White paper generated email addresses?
Scraping the internet?
Collecting business cards from random networking events?
Is this your best attempt to fill the sales pipeline?
Focus on these channels is not the way to build a red-hot sales pipeline!
If you do take this route, you’re in a Hope and Pray position…and you are NOT IN CONTROL!
AND you are WASTING time and money; and most importantly, your sales talents!
Cyber engagement to real world conversation is often the toughest of sales connections to make.
At some point, you’ll get tired of waiting for your dream clients to come to you.,,, and wish you’d started sales prospecting earlier
B2B Sales Prospecting Training | Lead Generation Training Made Simple
So you get results.
With no stress.
And you get a sales pipeline worth having.
A well qualified, high converting sales pipeline!
A high quality sales pipeline that gives you profitable sales when you want them.
If you’re looking for that one sales lead generation system that guarantees results, a reliable sales generation system that is under your control, then here it is, The Sales Improvement Workshop
Your in-house B2B Sales Prospecting Training with your specific sales targets in mind.
Designed to help your build a high quality, well qualified, high converting sales pipeline.
B2B sales prospecting training to give you the skills to be a an advanced sales person.
In truth, this course works if you do!
The Sales Improvement Workshop – hit the link and explore how this business development, sales lead creation and sales conversion training helps cure 100% of the sales problems encountered in under performing sales teams.
This sales training course will take you from thinking about who to sell to, right through to closing the deal, and getting a referral!
Eliminating the sales disasters that every sales team can drift into that causes them to waste time, lose money, drop sales opportunities to lesser competitors.
B2B Sales Prospect Training Removes Sales Problems Like:
- Not being able to ‘connect’ with the decision maker due to low credibility
- Struggling to demonstrate compelling reasons why the prospects need what you are offering
- Lack of clear market differentiation means being outsold by lesser competitors, which also means
- Having to discount / sell on price to win business
- Getting ‘ghosted’ by sales prospects that really ought to be buying from you
- Not multi-threading the sales proposition through all the stakeholders
- Not qualified the buyer hard enough
- Dealing with prospects that miss every agreed deadline
- Quoting but not converting
- Which means the sales pipeline is full of rubbish prospects
- Needlessly investing time in selling hard to prospects who will never buy
- Poor sales pipeline management means you can’t see the wood from the trees so you drop healthy prospects because you’re busy chasing everyone,
and all this happens because you
- Don’t really understand why someone should buy from you versus the competition…
And, if that’s not enough, just think about this:
Every time you lose a deal to your competitor, they get stronger.
So a competitor that’s won 10 deals from you, deals that should have been yours, is now much stronger than they were before you lost those deals to them.
Just think about that.
Every deal you lose makes you weaker and the competition stronger.
Every deal you lose makes the fight to win the next deal slightly harder.
Now – you have a way to break the sales cycle that’s making you weaker, and your competitor stronger!
To book you’re call to discuss how this course will deliver the very best sales results for you, call 0779 002 1885 for details.
First Class B2B Sales Prospecting Training | Because these skills save sales careers!
Your sales skills are so important they deserve to be continually refined, up graded and coached.
In The Sales Improvement Workshop is suitable for new starters, mid career, and established sales professionals. Run on an in-house basis – you get to tailor the content based on your current sales results and sales leaks.
Sales is tough, so why make it tougher than it needs to be?
Talk to us about building all the sales skills you need within the business to sell how buyers want to buy!
Remember The Sales Improvement Workshop is the fastest way to get the most modern, effective, efficient and results orientated training available today.
Call us and find out why this training gets the results it does.
Don’t let your competitors get stronger because you’re playing by their rules!
Our B2B sales prospecting training will unlock your real sales potential and give you the firm foundation you need to drive increased sales.
Hi, thanks for visiting….if you’re looking to increase or optimise your sales results, then please book a call to discuss how I can help you (use the links at the end of this box for direct message options) If you need a few more details, then here you go…. I’m an experienced data-driven, analytical sales trainer and sales improvement specialist. Proud to design sales training and sales improvement solutions that stick! Happy to share some insights if you want a quick steer – just book a call, especially if you’re not seeing the sales results you’d like, you’re struggling to know what to do next, or you’d really like to give your competitors something to worry about!
What’s you sales challenge?