In a world that’s awash with information, then B2B Cold Callers have no excuse for mindless dials. Yet still I’m getting cold calls. 5-6 a day.
Whilst I’ll fight the urge, for the moment anyway, to name and shame those firms spewing money down the drain because of their cold calling strategy, I do wish they’d wake up to sales 2.0.
Whether you’re a manager running a team of cold callers or a cold caller yourself, consider the following and let me know how you get on:
The Top 10 Rules Rich Cold Callers Know…and you should too!
- Don’t be a like all the other Cold Callers. In fact, don’t be a Cold Caller at all.
- Research your prospects before you call them. Research their industry, their profile, their remit and their peers in their firm and their peers outside their firm. Rich Cold Callers will do this research outside of core selling time. Or as I call it BET (Bonus Earning Time)
- Don’t try to sell via email. Spammy emails that take 5 scrolls of the screen to digest will get past scroll 2 before being ditched. Rich Cold Callers work their network to generate referrals, introductions, common purpose and word of mouth references, and written endorsements.
- Don’t use generic sales pitches. Rich Cold Callers add value. They add huge amounts of value to any sales interaction. Proper value. Industry insight. This means they grab and hold the prospects attention faster and for longer…this is where poor Cold Callers make their biggest mistake.
Ask difficult questions. Rich Cold Callers want to know they are dealing at the the right person, at the right level, at the right time, with the power to make things happen.
- Qualify fast. Rich Cold Callers don’t waste time. They don’t waste time with the uninterested, the blinkered, the comfortable or those without vision. They spend time with prospects where there is mutual respect and value to be exchanged.
- Don’t stalk the uninterested prospect. Rich Cold Callers will spend a lot of time engaging with highly qualified sales prospects who can buy. Poor Cold Callers will talk to anyone, about anything.
- Display, radiate, exude high energy. Rich Cold Callers play, all in.
- Welcome rejection. Rich Cold Callers know the fastest way to get to yes is to get the first no out of the way. They work hard to get the objections out in the open and to explode any rejection…so they can get on with the real job of selling
- Work a sales system of prospecting, nurturing, progressing prospects though a well documented sales process, maintaining a tight sales funnel and sales pipeline. They’re not afraid to ditch dead prospects and they don’t treat all business leads equally.
It’s Up to You…
Being a Cold Caller can be the worst job in the world, the endless rejection, the Groundhog feeling. But, guess what? If that’s what you expect, that’s what you get…
It can also be the best and most rewarding job in the world…if you’re GREAT at it.
That’s where you have the choice. It’s a choice.
What’s Your Decision?
Be like all the others, or be a pro! Make the job your own. Get good at it.
Out Smart others doing the same…it’s not tough.
If you’re in Sheffield and you’re looking to up your cold calling play – check this out.
Based outside of South Yorkshire – check this out
If you’re based outside of the UK – check this out
Or if you want a chat to discuss your sales performance and what’s stopping you getting the sales results you need – call 0779 002 1885 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for a confidential chat.
p.s. Think about it like this, why have a trudging, mediocre cold calling function, when out performing the market is so achievable?
Don’t be a cold caller!